Monday, November 20, 2006

Cheating at Unis

Apparently, students have been cheating at unis:

Universities in NSW are facing an explosion in the number of students caught plagiarising assignments and cheating in exams, with law students the worst offenders at one big institution.

Figures obtained by the Herald under freedom of information laws show some of the state's most highly regarded universities have recorded the most incidents of student misconduct

Shock horror. Law students always struck me as trustworthy characters. How foolish of me.

In other news, I'm buying a laptop this week so it'll be rice, water and goon for the next couple of weeks/months at Casa de Engels. I can buy the laptop without windows (ie save money), and have it pre-installed with Ubuntu Linux. How very tech elite (read: nerdy).

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Windows isn't hard to come by anyway, along with Word etc.

A lot of minor cheating occurs at uni. I know myself and my mates all share assignments and stuff, but I guess the main thing is the plagiarising, which could get the uni's in strife if they don't do anything about it. We all take ideas from other people these days, and its just a matter of making sure you reference it. I don't understand why not having a reference there makes people think it'll be any better. I'm sure your lecturers know you didn't come up with the idea in the first place!

Most of my essays etc rely on having peer reviewed research anyway, and we generally get a mark on the amount/quality of references we have in our assignments. If we didn't have them, our teachers would tell us to bugger off.

Law students, probably believe they can work themselves out of any trouble they get into through the court system.

5:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd say something, but I know Engels would just bring up "You failed PPL!"

In my defence, I'd like to mention I'm a member of the Golden Key Honor Society.

W00t. :D

5:51 pm  
Blogger Engels said...

I did, from time to time, occasionally copy here and there. Well, nearly all my labs. I hated labs.

Golden Key schmee! Congrats Aidan. You join the scholarly ranks of Tits McLay and Dalai Llama.

Stupid blasted Golden Key society not recognising my marks. Too for good them anyway...

6:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why bother cheating when you can buy your degree from some random site online? oh, that's because you wouldn't _learn_ anything -eeh

where do you buy a laptop without windows? I haven't seen many around...
but remember the age old truth "in a world without fences or walls, you wont need gates and windows..."

12:02 am  
Blogger Engels said...

Hey, Fructus. It's an Australian computer company called Pioneer (though all the parts are foreign, I imagine). My office mate chose them because you could buy the computers without Windows as an option.

Hmmm, I wonder if "scholarly" is the only word in English ending in "ly" which is an adjective as well as an adverb. I better get back to dreaming about my laptop.

9:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home