Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Ah right: a land of lattés

For one reason or the other, my new uni is obsessed with Macs, which naturally I think is a little strange for a maths school unless you want really pretty graphs, of course.

When I had lunch a month ago with a couple of the PhD students and an academic they spoke about coffee and the various cafés that serve good coffee in the greater uni area - a conversation of which I contributed little to - for about 20 minutes. Yesterday I told a PhD student, much to her dismay, that I didn't really drink coffee (though I do love my Ice Breaks ;). She responded with, 'How can you not drink coffee!'

I replied, 'Quite easily when you come from a place with 35-degree heat and 90% humidity.' Now my mate has discovered and directed me, most definitely on UQ worktime, to this little cartoon.

Interesting. Now where's my beret?

4 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

You don't need cold weather to enjoy coffee. There's always the ice-blended variety. ;)

12:03 am  
Blogger Engels said...

Coffee is evil. Caffeine is evil. It's a drug - a drug that I'm slowly getting hook on as Whitty continually makes me a cup every morning.

I'm not too keen on the taste so I load my coffee up with sugar, which makes it even less healthy.

I have enough health problems to deal with in regard to beer consumption. I really don't need this...

8:10 am  
Blogger Engels said...

Also, I blame the Italians, Greeks, Vietnamese and the Irish (they're always responsible) for the coffee culture in Melbourne. Whatever happen to Australia being a land of tea drinkers?

I going to make a strong effort to remain compleletly ignorant of all coffee-related terms and names. That'll fix those Melburnians.

8:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coffee is teh devil....Jan, you won't tempt me!

7:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home