Thursday, July 27, 2006

Lottery - A Fool's Errand

Last year I asked my probability lecturer (a Princeton graduate) if he gambled. He responded drily with, "I loathe gambling. I think the lottery is a scam and is no doubt only followed by people in poorer demographs." Fair enough, I thought, but Aussies love their lotto according to this interesting article:

One in seven Australians are banking on winning the lottery to deliver them financial security.

After calculating the odds of winning lotto in highschool, I've been convinced it's a complete waste of time ever since. Instead of recalculating the odds for you, I've looked up them up here. For a comparison, I looked up the statistics of being struck by lightning in Australia. If we say 200 people are stuck by lightning each year, you have roughly a 1 in 100 thousand chance of being stuck by ligthing, which is about 80 times better than winning the first division in Saturday lottery. If you're feeling really lucky, you can try your chances at Power Ball, which gives you about 1 in 55 million chance of winning the first division. Hence, you have 500 times better chance of being struck by lightning than winning first division Power Ball.

Naturally, the ligthning statistics is a rough, though generous, estimate. Certain lifestyles and occupations increase your risk of being struck by lightning, and with Australia's aging population, and subsequently, increase in golf players, the number of lightning strikes will increase slightly. Still, you'll have a better chance of being lit up like a Christmas tree than winning division 1 or, even division 2 for that matter. Good revenue raiser for the government, nonetheless. Beats taxes.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your lecturer sounds like a total wanker.

Although I never gamble…

But I have concocted recently an elaborate fantasy involving an old man with a scots cap and a Scottish terrier that I wave hello to every morning on the way to work. In the fantasy one day instead of my old mate a man greets me with the dog, saying the old man died and with no close relations he decided to give his world possessions – cap, dog, millions of squids – to that friendly young man he passed every day in the street.

Am I weird?

7:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the same dream!

Except replace the old man with the dog with "Jessica Alba" and then "give you my worldly possessions" with "becomes my sex slave".

It's all good, natch.

7:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strucked hey, I think its Struck mate, thats probably the first thing I've teached you :P

You also put stuck twice instead of struck. We're you tired or something when you wrote this? ;P

8:25 pm  
Blogger Engels said...

That is...strange, Luke. The lecturer was Tony O'connor.

Damn! Martini caught me out. Thought I had changed all them. I also made a mistake with one of the calculations...

11:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... »

8:32 am  
Anonymous Siggie said...

I think lottery is not at all for people appreciating well-reasoned decisions and or down-to-earth thinking. It's for those addicted to emotional thrill. Just imagine you have 1 chance in 45 millions to win Oz Lotto. I like it and really devoted to play and check Australian lotto results weekly, no intermissions at all. Hope luck will smile upon me.

6:07 pm  
Blogger xjd7410@gmail.com said...

20151014 junda
Louis Vuitton Handbags Factory Store
Louis Vuitton Bags On Sale
Louis Vuitton Bags Outlet Store
cheap ugg boots
louis vuitton outlet
Michael Kors Outlet Real Handbags Online
ugg boots
Air Jordan 3 III Retro Free Shipping
louis vuitton outlet
celine
Christian Louis Vuitton Red Bottoms
coach factory outlet
ray ban sunglasses uk
Ugg Boots,Ugg Boots Outlet,Ugg Outlet,Cheap Uggs,Uggs On Sale,Ugg Boots Clearance,Uggs For Women
Coach Outlet Store Online Handbags Clearance
canada goose outlet
ugg boots outlet
Abercrombie And Fitch Kids Online
true religion outlet
cheap jordan shoes
New Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet
cheap uggs
nfl jerseys
canada goose jackets
Abercrombie and Fitch Outlet Sale
louis vuitton outlet
canada goose outlet
uggs australia
michael kors outlet stores
Coach Factory Outlet Online Sale

5:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home