Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Religions in Oz

Young Australians are attracted to "spiritual aerobics", according to a new survey:

A survey shows that new and emerging churches are popular with young Australians and that 'nature religions' and Scientology are growing strongly.

Professor Bouma said Australia's youth was flocking to new and emerging 'mega-churches', such as those of Christian Pentacostals, engaging in energetic forms of worship that he calls 'spiritual aerobics'.

This was despite the fact that Australians were not as religious as Americans and could be sceptical of US-style evangelism.

Among the religions on the rise are Buddhism, up 79 per cent since 1996, Islam, up 40 per cent, Hinduism up 42 per cent, and Penatacostalism, up 11 per cent.

Nature religions, including Wicca and witchcraft had grown by 130 per cent and Scientology had 37 per cent more followers.

Naturally, the youth of today want more flexible religions. I don't want a god who'll send me to a fiery hell for drinking and having sex before marriage.

Glad Australians are still, justifiably I might add, sceptical of American evangelism. But this growing interest in the Cult of Scientology scares me. Haven't they read Operation Clambake?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I don't want a god who'll send me to a fiery hell for drinking and having sex before marriage."

Well, those in Islam are getting that whether they want to or not.

Well...not that most of that growth is probably people "choosing" the religion.

5:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rant

Don't get me started about Wicca either. It's the fakest of the fake. Full of a lot of supernatural silliness and followed by people who think they're following some "ancient religion" rather than what it actually is: quackery dreamed up by some nutty brit in the 20th century.

/rant

10:53 am  
Blogger Engels said...

Ha, that makes sense about the Wicca. It comforts people, I guess. A strange set of beliefs whatever they are.

Still, the self-proclaimed witch Fiona Horne is hot - pity she's a moron.

12:38 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

"Well, those in Islam are getting that whether they want to or not."

I guess that means the Muslims you know are either extremely backward or painfully dumb. High time they learned from their counterparts here so they can start sinning like nobody's business.

Now that I've said my piece, I'll go back to my drunken orgy.

6:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to made Grand Mufti Jan.

8:57 am  
Blogger Engels said...

Is that your bare back I can see, Jan? Going for the "uncovered meat" look, eh?

10:54 am  
Blogger Jan said...

I've never been good at being "covered meat", Engels.

1:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home