Friday, January 20, 2006

More Brain Food

Nothing really exciting is happening in the world so I thought I'd continue the brain-food topic with this article, which discusses the benefits of acids found in seafood:

It has been known for some time that omega-3 acids are important, but data from a long-term study of British children suggest they are even more important than had previously been realised. In particular, the amount of omega-3 in a pregnant woman's diet helps to determine her child's intelligence, fine-motor skills and also propensity to anti-social behaviour.

Perhaps the most startling finding was that the children of those women who had consumed the smallest amounts of omega-3 fatty acids during their pregnancies had verbal IQs six points lower than average. That may not sound much, but it would have a serious effect on a country's brainpower if it were widespread.

I've noticed a couple of land-locked nations, such Laos and Bolivia, suffer economically because they have no sea ports for easy importing and exporting (in fact, Bolivia still has the shits with Chile who stole their coastline over a hundred years ago). I can't help but wonder what effect, economically and intellectually, a low-sea food diet has on a country's populace.

Lucky the majority of Aussies live near the coast, eh. Might explain why a lot rural folk strike me as daft. I did spend my first 9 years in outback NSW. Lucky my parents enjoy canned fish, though I do have poor motor skills...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home