Thursday, May 11, 2006

A paper, eh?

Last winter I did some research work in the environmental faculty. It involved performing a statistical analysis* on Brisbane River tide-times and outlining their effects on salinity levels in "fresh" groundwater in a neighbouring region (a important research area in recents years as the farmers keep draining "their" groundwater dry in Oz).

What do I know about salinity levels and statistical analysis? Nothing. Well, I knew pratically nothing before I did the 4-week project. After I knew next to nothing. I simply googled a few key words, sent a couple emails out and then received some tidal data (apparently some government office has been recording hourly tide-times for the last couple of years). I ran a random sample of data through some programs I wrote/pinch and modified and produced some pretty graphs.

I wrote up the results, handed it in and cashed my cheque. No worries. Imagine my surprise last week when I discovered the researcher has polished my report up (significantly) and submitted it to a journal, which has accepted it on a number of conditions and changes to be made. Now I have to remember what I did a year ago and try to fix up a paper in an area I know next to nothing about. Also, do I know anything about writing scientific papers? No.

The due date for the final submission is the end of this month. Hence, future blog entries may be slightly fewer in number. Who's to blame here? Well, probably me or the researcher but I'm going to cast the blame squarely on the farmers. Or I could blame El Nino?

*A statistical method that is highly used in finance.

7 Comments:

Blogger Whitz said...

An arseclown's work is never done. congratulations on the big publishing opportunity. As a result, for the next 3 weeks, Carlton Draught sales will be significantly lower across Melbourne, Engels' neuro transmitters will get an intense work out, and the young ladies of Victoria will feel unexplainably safer.

6:31 am  
Blogger Engels said...

Haha. Indeed.

9:29 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of arseclowns, what might you be up to lately, young Mr Whiteburn?

1:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its not the fault of the farmers, you cunt...

blame the asians, coming here and stealing our jobs... *mmmm* yummy asians.... with their....

i do wonder though, if you've ever told your supervisors about your blog... and if writing up there that you're basically full of shit was a good idea? ;)

3:15 pm  
Blogger Engels said...

Well, The Reverend, I'm banking on the fact he's too useless to use the web to discover this blog. Fool proof, eh?

4:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice one bruvva

ergh i'm too sick to bother writing anything else...

except that.

and that.

and that.

and that.

and that.


....


....

and that.

/family guy

8:27 pm  
Blogger Engels said...

Cheers, lads.

Googling is evil. So is putting up details about people on websites. You know who you are.

I need a computer for family guy. I need family guy.

1:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home