Monday, June 26, 2006

Australia Vs Italy

In the last week or so, I've had a couple of people allude to the fact that I wasn't really a soccer fan and that I just jumping on the band wangon with the rest of Oz. Nothing could be further from the truth. In 1998 I woke up early to watch Germany play, and finally be promptly beaten by Croatia (the bastards). In 2002, I had no doubt that Irish Incompetence (TM) would prevail, allowing Germany through to the next round.

Now, I'm not the sort of person that gets excited at concerts or even passionate about regular sporting events (sorry QLD lads, but the State of Origin doesn't really do it for me - afterall I'm NSW born). But every four years, I find myself yelling at the TV screen, jumping up and down in glee or anger, and cursing at bad referee decisions (and let's face it, all decisions against Oz are bad ;) In short: the World Cup is where it's at.

Indubitably, Australia's days in the World Cup are numbered. But fingers crossed the Italians go down tonight. And when they do, I'm staying clear of nearby Lygon Street and its Italian restaurants.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, how does this mean that you aren't jumping on the bandwagon?

7:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me be the first....


We wuz robbed.

7:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still hope your planning on boycotting those Italian areas still Engels. The Italians were soft. I'm planning a little wog bashing today myself.... :P

It was a great ride on that bandwagon though. See ya in 4 more years!

btw Engels, I'm NSW born too, I follow QLD. I don't like admitting that NSW thing much, but I've lived most my life in QLD, so consider my self a QLDer!!

11:45 am  
Blogger Engels said...

BOO HOO.

Well, I was jumping on the band wagon following Oz, but not following world cup in general.

I hate those blasted Italians. And there were EVERYWHERE last night.

12:20 pm  
Blogger Engels said...

I never knew you were NSW born, Martini. Suppose I spent 9 years in NSW opposed to my 15 or so in QLD.

12:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've spent 18 years in NSW, 3 years in Queensland and 3 in ACT.

I guess I should be going for the Blues, but I still hate the bastards.

12:59 pm  
Blogger Engels said...

I didn't mind watching a couple of games of the Union World Cup (a bandwago which I did jump on), but other than that, I wouldn't know rugby if I fell over it.

I watched some AFL the other night. That's one strange sport to watch.

I consider myself a Queenslander now. It gives the pink shirt-wearing private-schooled Victorians something to hang over me. It's good for their precious self esteems ;)

1:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"It's good for their precious self esteems ;) "

Being Victorians, I'd expect they need all the help they can get on that count.

2:13 pm  
Blogger Engels said...

I think there's one or two other PhD students here who didn't go to a private school. It's something like 90% of Uni Melb students I've heard.

Meh.

3:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I was jumping on the band wagon following Oz, but not following world cup in general.

But following the world cup every 4 years is the ultimate bandwagon, thus making you a proven bangwagoneer ;)

What a shit anyway! I'm quite depressed actually, although i didn't think we were robbed. The ref made two close calls (red card and penalty) and at least we got one each.

I'll be crying into my consolatory pasta that my Italian housemate's cooking tonight. Dammit, i just can't stay mad at her :-\

7:34 pm  
Blogger Engels said...

No, in Oz the ultimate bandwagon is following the World Cup only because Oz was in it. And I followed the European cup in 2004.

Besides, meh.

10:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meh indeed

In any case its a good bandwagon to jump on. Proof below:

http://foxsports.foxnews.com/soccer/pgStory?contentId=5676192&pageNumber=1

7:44 pm  
Blogger Engels said...

You do follow Brazil for the football, right?

5:36 pm  
Blogger Engels said...

http://foxsports.foxnews.com/soccer/pgStory?contentId=5676192&pageNumber=4

5:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home