Thursday, October 19, 2006

Homeless Aussies

Last Saturday some vagrant came up to me in the supermarket and asked me for money because he was hungry. I said no, and later I saw him at the checkout with a couple of mates and cask of wine. I can assure you I wasn't impressed.

Having said that, last year I spoke to a 20-something lass on a train (after having had beers at Martini's) who told me she had been homeless as a teenager. She said it can easily happen when you have an abustic household, and it's difficult to prove your identity because your father isn't really your father etc. Hence, as per usual I have mixed thoughts on homeless people. Apparently, us Aussies aren't to concerned:

A new survey says 79 per cent of Australians believe homeless people have only themselves to blame for their predicament.

The Hanover Group, a service provider to the homeless, conducted the survey.

The group's chief executive, Tony Kennan, says the survey results are sad and indicate that Australians are becoming hardened to the plight of the needy.

"I think there has been a rise in individualism, in that ... the thinking nowadays is people fend for themselves," he said.

Mr Kennan says there are now more than 100,000 homeless people across Australia and there are more women and children than ever before.

"There certainly has been a big reduction in public housing and that's one of the problems we face" he said.

"There's been some huge social changes over the last 20 years and that's obviously contributed to the situation.

"The reality is 36 per cent of homeless people are under the age of 24 and almost 50 per cent of those young people are women," he said.

"Ten per cent of the homeless population are under 12.


It amazes me that this can be an issue in our country. OK, we apparently don't have as many unskilled jobs as we once had. But surely there are other options?

I keep telling myself I'll start donating money. Just have to find the right charity.Should I give my money to the guy who might spend it on booze or to the charity that cares for kids in Cambodia?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If a homeless bum is sitting on the street begging for money, with his life-story on a bit if card-board, then I'm sorry, they are clearly not doing anything about thier own situation, so why should I help them, if they cannot be bothered to help themselves..I'm willing to help those who show an effort, sitting on a dirty street is no effort, its asking for a sympathy vote..get off the streets and strive to do something about it!

9:52 pm  
Blogger Engels said...

There's that, but I'm more concerned about children, teenagers, and young mothers.

Surely there are jobs to be had. Work for the dole etc

4:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jobs for the Homeless Mathematicians!!

10:17 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home