Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Cuba Rocks

You can't help but admire the communist Shangri-La that is Cuba:

The authorities allow Maribel Vidal to sell her handicrafts two weeks out of four to tourists visiting Camaguey, 550km east of Havana.

She used to be a teacher on 3000 pesos ($135) a year.

"I now earn 10 to 15 times more," but has to pay 50% tax.

Maribel says many of the other market traders are also university graduates.

She earns enough to "live with dignity" but wishes she could return to teaching.

I wonder why Cubans like Andy Garcia (who directed a film that didn't paint a nice picture of Che and co) and his family fled the country?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'll see your anti cuban rhetoric and match you

en guard!

11:30 am  
Blogger Engels said...

Right... do you actually believe that tripe? I'll post a response on my blog.

Btw, how's that vacation going?

1:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah man everyone knows that capitalism caused cancer :P

I'm still working for the man!

Damn my capitalist overlords that required 4 weeks notice.


I finish August the 10th, when i intend to buy a che shirt and smoke a lot of weed in my underpants.

2:41 pm  
Blogger Engels said...

Viva la smoking of weed in underpants.

3:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home