Monday, May 29, 2006

Bloody Australian Banks

I lost my ANZ debit card the other day (yes, I was slightly drunk) and it cost me $15 to replace it. That's disgraceful. Particularly after ANZ recorded a staggering profit last financial year. For the last couple of years I've been painfully aware that Australian banks love charging the consumer like there's no tomorrow. Ireland, probably the most expensive nation in the EU, has banks which charge less than banks in Oz. The fact that they use our money to invest* in order to reap huge profits and then charge us stupidly high fees is bloody deplorable.

Thusly, to come the point of my rant, I'm searching for a better, cheaper, "nicer" bank account. I was recommended HSBC who have a free internet bank account and you receive a fee-free VISA debit card (where ANZ charges you $6 per month for this "luxury"). It's a pity HSBC is a UK based bank, I think. Or is it Hong Kong?

Apparently, the NAB (Australia's largest bank due to their overseas investments) has a pretty reasonable deal as well. Any other suggestions?

*In fact, ANZ gave a presentation the other day in the hope to recruit more maths PhDs to help them maximise their already fat profits. Ah, the beauty of financial darwinism. Do or die.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

HSBC is based in Hong Kong.

11:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Credit union for me. No fees, but shitty interest.

7:25 am  
Blogger Engels said...

Does NAB have a VISA debit card? They're good for subscrubing, I mean, buying things on the internet...and stuff.

Ah, so HSBC is HK. Cheers.

6:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grr I hate banks - I paid off £250 worth of bank charges (feel free to convert that to AU$, but I advise against it) and now they've hit me with another £57 worth (which took 3 months to process) - but will they let me shut down my account? No.. apparently that can't be done unless I pay more!! Hmm.. angry letter being written. Bastards.

2:34 am  
Blogger Engels said...

Ouch, Jen. Ouch.

10:15 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coming in a little late to the conversation here but you would be well rid of the ANZ. I just tried to link my new credit card up my savings account and they couldn't do it at the call centre because my cash card said my full name and my credit card just my inital and surname - they said I couldn't prove they were for the same person (despite the fact that me and my alleged doppelganger had the SAME address? ) I mean, c'mon!

1:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home