Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Google Trends

I just discovered Google Trends. The lads at Google have been collecting statistics on word searches for various cities around the world. It's entertaining, if not rather frightening, to see what words people search for.

I decided to look up a random word like "feminism" to see if women in countries in which they are not treated entirely fairly are doing any research. Stockholm in Sweden, a nation apparently acclaimed for being feministic, ranked first while my former stomping ground Brisbane came second. Perhaps not surprisingly, Brisbane ranked third for a somewhat ineffable word loved and used by many feminists. Bravo the Aussies, Kiwis and Poms.

Once you've looked up the regular words you (well, at least I do) begin to wonder who's looking up more irregular words. I can honestly say I've never googled this word but now I do wonder what's happening on the West coast of the States.

What words have you looked up and who ranks number one? Be honest now.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

You actually looked up "feminism"? That's a pleasant change. I looked up "Leonaro DiCaprio" (he just came to mind, honest). Peru ranked first.

8:31 pm  
Blogger Engels said...

Well, yeah, Jan. I was thinking more concepts than words.

From my experience Peru is one of the few countries where it pays to be a skinny white boy. Still, DiCaprio?

9:35 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Other isms -

Fascism - http://www.google.com/trends?q=fascism&ctab=1&geo=all&date=all

Top countries Sweden, US and Romania. (?)

Communism - Phillipines, Australia, Singapore

Islamism - Romania (! Again!), Phillipines, Sweden

12:46 pm  
Blogger Engels said...

Strange, Aidan. There's something psychological happening here.

Why would Australians want to look up a failed political/economic system? When will they learn...

3:04 pm  
Blogger Engels said...

Funny but scary at the same time.

5:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who's most interested in Australia?

http://www.google.com/trends?q=australia&ctab=1&geo=all&date=all

Seems to be Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia, India and the UK in that order...

7:48 pm  
Blogger Engels said...

Boys from Brazil? This is a literary reference of some sort relating to escaped Nazi war criminals hiding out in Latin American, isn't? cf Eichmann.

Oh. And I didn't know what bukkake* was ...until I just wikied it. Thanks. You know I'm all innocent and stuff.

*That is, I didn't there was a word for THAT.

9:07 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

8:46 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home