Thursday, March 16, 2006

Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony

What. The. Fuck? The dreams of a 12-year old? I'll admit I'm not the most inclined to artsy displays, but what was going on last night? Trust Loony Leunig to inspire something so incomprehensible. The sight of thousands of cables, ducks and box-kites made me truly nauseous. And Leunig, a little tip: box-kites and ducks isn't the first thing 12-year boys dream about nowadays, I reckon.

Apart from that I thought the ceremony was entertaining enough - mind you, I was having pints while viewing to keep the entertainment factor up. The AFL references were lost on me, and probably a large part of non-Victoria Australia.

The republican inside me felt a bit ill at the whole royal treatment but the overall visual happiness of the athletes, particularly the African nations, ailed me.

8 Comments:

Blogger Engels said...

I missed the part where the tram flew. It was a hover board! Not quite a hover car though.

Spicks and Specks would have been a better watch I wager.

3:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Comment from news.com.au:

Many of us were too emotionally churned up to take in the rest of the ceremony, though a real duck appeared at some stage. It is not believed to be the one that took Leunig’s cartoon to Iran. The cartoonist is understood to have shot that one in a quiet moment on his Euroa property.

Heh, heh.

7:01 pm  
Blogger Engels said...

Haha. On that awful Today Tonight they asked all the international journos what they thought of the opening ceremony. Standard response was, 'What was with the duck?'

Today I said I was surprised that they still had the theme after the Iran controversy. Some girl said, 'That wasn't him.'

I said, 'Yeah, but he DID draw it.'

'It was taken out of context,' she replied.

A ha...

7:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I turned on BBC1 this morning when i was getting up for work and caught some swimming or something, complete with Australian commentary!

It really made me feel like i was back home in Ostraya... so i switched it off ;)

8:40 pm  
Blogger Engels said...

Hahhahahaahaha. Brilliant, Luke. Thank fuck I spent the Athens Olympics in Ireland ie a country that isn't pathetically obsessed with sport.

9:35 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For a good laff, read Leunig's
"explanation"

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,18492439-13762,00.html

What a duck has to do with the Soviets I've yet to understand, but I've actually seen a duck act around another animals - mainly trying to rape a few hens.

Peaceful they aint.

2:03 pm  
Blogger Engels said...

I argued with a maths/arts students that most of Australia, let alone the world, get the duck.

She said Leunig was a world famous artist. World famous? Maybe in Melbourne, love.

She then revealed her year 12 Catholic-school class was given a Leunig book.

6:42 pm  
Blogger Engels said...

I mean books. Apparently all the year 12 students had the chance to enjoy Leunig's work.

9:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home