Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Internet Music Rant

I recently argued - perhaps somewhat drunkenly - with a mate over a song. I said that Janis Joplin had sung a version of "Son of a Preacher Man". Turned out I was wrong, although I had had the song (from the Pulp Fiction soundtrack) labelled as that on my computer for the last five years. Why can't people label songs correctly? Is it that hard? Just because a song may "sound" like another artist, doesn't mean it's by that bloody artist!

For instance, "Cats in the Cradle" was originally sung by Harry Chapin and NOT Cat Stevens while the cover was done by the one hit wonder Ugly Kid Joe and NOT Axl Rose and the gang. Similar artists seem to be interchangeable. Tom Waits and Nick Cave? There's no difference there, according to the internet.

And heaven forbid when a band member starts their own solo career, while still performing songs from their previous bands. Contrary to popular belief, songs by the two bands Cream and Derek and the Dominos cannot be simply labelled as Eric Clapton songs (and vice versa for that matter).

This is obviously a point of consternation for me. Then again, perhaps this is the internet gods hinting to me to buy my music.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, its like every single parody mp3 is attributed to Weird Al Yankovic, even ones sung by women.


Oh, and Cat Stevens...that's his unholy name and he done rejected it. You now should call him Yusuf Islam, Muslim fruitcake and "Salman Rushdie should die" wanker.

1:14 pm  
Blogger Engels said...

I noticed that about parodies.

I think Cat Stevens has some deep-seated father issues (eg Father and Son). I remember years ago reading in an interview that Stevens (who's of Greek origin) was raised by his father to hate the Turks or something to that effect. Apparently, the Greeks and Turks have something of a history.

7:13 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

If by history you mean "The Greeks are still mighty pissed that the Turks sacked and conquered Constantinople, considered the greatest greek city in history", then yes, there's some history there.

Plus the Young Turks attempted genocide on the Greeks, just like the did more successfully on the Armenians and Assyrians.

Note: Pre WWI, Constantinople was about 50% Greek. Now it's like 0.5%.

9:14 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel the need to point out that Ugly Kid Joe were NOT a one hit wonder.

They also produced the notable tunes:

"Neighbour" and
"(I Hate) Everything About You".

1:21 pm  
Blogger Engels said...

I stand corrected - in fact when I wrote that, I felt the urge to check my baseless allegation. I do dislike it when people accuse bands of being one hit wonders when in fact they are actually two or three hit wonders. Examples include, but are not limited to Men at Work, The Proclaimers...

Sorry, Dalai Lamma. And sorry, Ugly Kid Joe.

11:46 am  
Blogger Engels said...

And going back to what we were discussing earlier, I thought since Ataturk was raised in Greece, this would explain his western (ie relatively liberal) leanings, and why Turkey is better off than other Muslim countries today.

12:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home