Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The 'right' answer

Imagine my mortification this morning when I read the headline 'Marks for wrong maths calculations'. Surely not I thought to myself. But alas:

MATHS students will no longer be penalised for arriving at the correct answer using incorrect calculations under Western Australia's controversial outcomes-based education system.

Right...unless I've missed something here, this is the mathematical equivalent of running the Commonwelath Games marathon, skipping the St Kilda leg BUT still ending up at the MCG - the correct place.

Mathematics is not like English. The path you take does matter. Mind you, in various English-speaking countries like Australia teachers have waterered down the grammar and syntax component in school English curriculums. Thus, we have poorer English grammar and it's more challenging for us English speakers when we attempt to either a) teach English as a foreign language, or b) learn another language.*

Surely the right answer is not all that they seek? Why teach a teenager how to calculate the area of a cirlce or triangle with calculus - a very powerful and useful tool - just to let them find the solution with a simple formula they learnt in primary school? I truly hope I have missed something here - probably due to my poor English skills ;)

*I'm only gathering this from anecdotal evidence and various websites I've read over the years. I may be wrong. If you can be wrong in English?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are correct...It's not just the answer, otherwise we'd never teach basic arithmetic, and just rely on calculators.

These new-fangled approaches to teaching all have one thing in common.

They suck.

2:05 pm  
Blogger Engels said...

Indeed.

Yesterday my supervisor was recommending a book to read which he said used to be for second and third year, but it's probably closer to fourth year since the students keep getting worse.

10:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me good in mathes and engrish

11:42 am  
Blogger Engels said...

That s coz you were teached good, eh?

12:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I came across your blog searching for more info on the mirror test (in reference self awareness in dogs) Don't usually read peoples blogs without invitation too... But was drawn in by your great sense of humour and interesting opinions and ideas. Just felt compelled to leave a msg!

Thanks for the laugh!

Ciao
Rhiannon (possy33@hotmail.com)

1:18 pm  
Blogger Engels said...

Cheers, Rhiannon. Intrigued by your name. It's not Welsh is it?

When you deal with fellow maths students and academics everyday, you need a sense of humour to get through the week ;)

10:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, tis Welsh. (no, my parents were not Fleetwood Mac fans) Celtic goddess of the moon, goddess of the isle (arthurian)... however my mother has decided that the less common 'good witch' definition is more apt... I'm not sure if she deliberately leaves out the 'good' part... I'm an angel, really.

10:11 am  
Blogger Engels said...

I actually have never heard of the Fleetwood Mac song. I spoke to a Welsh bar-lass a couple of months ago.

4:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home